::: HomeSitemap中文日本語
Service overview Latest news Event information Sightseeing and Travel Business investments Residence Convenient services Links
Dynamic flash
Wednesday, February 28, 2015  Visitors:967,521
Full Text Search
‧Information for Foreigners  
Information Hotline
Message Board
Subject Service
Video and music multimedia
Traditional folk Festivals
Tax and levy overview
Medical  Information
HsinchuForeignerAssistanceCenter Mandarin Lesson Program
::: Home > Transportation > Information for foreign drivers in Taiwan
Information for foreign drivers in Taiwan

I、 Basic rules:
A、Foreigners wanting to drive in the Republic of China (ROC) should first meet the driver's qualifications stipulated in the ROC driving regulations. And the issuance of driving licenses to foreigners is based on the "principles of equality and reciprocity" between the ROC and the counterpart nations.

B、Foreigners holding valid driver's licenses issued by a counterpart nation that upholds the "principles of equality and reciprocity" may lawfully drive vehicles in the first thirty days coming to Taiwan. There is no need to apply for another driving license. For those planning to drive for more than 30 days should first apply for motor vehicle extension at respective city and county governments. The maximum extension time is one year.

C、Foreigners who want to engage in long-term driving in the ROC should replace their original driver's license with an ROC license or take the rules test and road test here in order to get licenses issued by the ROC government. Whether a foreigner can directly replace the license issued in his/her nation will depend on whether or not the foreign nation has agreed on the "principles of equality and reciprocity." Details and a list of foreign nations qualified for the "principles" category are available at the following Web pages:

(1)、(Chinese version) of the Directorate General of Highways (DGH), which was previously named the Taiwan Highway Bureau (THB).
http://www.thb.gov.tw/english/left-licences.htm (English version)

II、Notes on testing/receiving/replacing car and motorbike driving licenses:

A、 Rules for replacing foreign driver's licenses with ROC driving licenses
B、 Rules for applying for a car-driving learner's permit
C、 Rules for taking tests for car-driving licenses
D、 Rules for taking tests for motorbike-driving licenses
Material origin:Information for foreigners
Weather Forecast
Hsinchu Area
15 ~ 17
14 ~ 16 Miaoli Area Miaoli Area
view all(open new windowns)
Real Time Images
More real time images
Related links
  Hsinchu City Government (open new windowns)
  Hsinchu County Government (open new windowns)
  Miaoli County Government (open new windowns)
  Science Park Administration(open new windowns)
  Tourism Bureau Website(open new windowns)
  national immigration agency(open new windowns)
view all
已通A+過無障礙標章 Copyright © 2008 Hsinchu City Government/Business Hour: AM8:00~12:00‧PM13:00~17:00, Mon.~ Fri.
Add:No.107, Zhongyang Rd., East District, Hsinchu City 300, Taiwan (R.O.C.) • Tel: 886-3-5229525 • 886-3-5216121 ext.564 565
Message Board
Best viewed with 1024 x 768 resolution